Smartling Learning Center Proudly Presents
Smartling Spelling Bee In Lewis Center , Ohio
August 9th Friday - 5 PM
@ 8840 Whitney Drive , Lewis Center, OH - 43035
Rules, Regulations and Registration
1. Written test - August 09 2019 5 PM @ Smartling Learning Center (8840 Whitney Drive , Lewis Center, OH - 43035) , if more than 12 participants in each category
2. Top 12 in each category will compete.
3. Word list for participant's specific category will be given to them after registration.
1. 3 Winners in each category.
2. Winners will get trophies and cash awards.
3. All participants will receive certificates.
There are 2 categories based on the participant's grade level.
Sub Junior Bee - Grades 3,4 and 5
Junior Bee - Grades 6,7 and 8
Competition Format and Rules
Smartling Learning Center - Spelling Bee will have 2 steps.
There will be 20 words in the written test.
1. Written test on August 09 2019 Friday 5 PM at - Smartling Learning Center. @8840 Whitney Drive, Lewis Center , OH - 43035
2. Top 12 qualifiers in each category will participate in the Oral contest at Smartling Learning Center right after the written test.
3. If more than 12 kids qualify, all the qualifiers will be qualified to the finals.
1. Top 12 students in each category from written test will proceed to the Oral competition.
2. Participants with the same score will be eligible to proceed to the next level.
3. The written test will have words from the word list provided and also from outside the word list.
4. Results will be announced by August 9th 2019 at the end of the competition
5. The scores will not be shared with parents or participants.
6. Exam papers will not be shared with parents or participants.
Oral Spelling Contest
1. Words will be asked orally in this round.
2. For Junior, Sub-Junior children will be asked to spell words orally and each participant gets a different word.
3. Each qualified participant will be given a random number card that will determine the order in which they will compete.
4. There will not be any practice rounds in the contest.
5. Only the Smartling Learning center volunteers, judges and pronouncers are allowed on stage.
6. Spectators can observe the spelling bee competition.
7. Webster’s Third New International Dictionary and its addenda section, copyright 2002, Merriam-Webster, will be the official dictionary
8. Spelling Bee Judges will serve as the final authority for word spelling and pronunciation.
9. If a word has two or more accepted spellings, the spelling listed first will be accepted as correct.
10. Some words on the list may not appear directly in the dictionary (plurals, possessives, etc.). Accepted rules for these words will apply.
11. Words shall be pronounced according to the diacritical markings in the dictionary, from which the Pronouncer shall select the definition or definitions that he gives.
12. The Pronouncer may give a fuller explanation of the meaning of the word to supplement the dictionary definition or definitions quoted.
13. The Pronouncer may also give the part of speech as well as alternative sentences, if needed.
Spelling - Procedure
1.The Pronouncer will pronounce the word and give the definition.
2.The participant will then pronounce the word, spell the word, and pronounce the word again.
3.The participant may ask for a sentence, etymology, and part of speech for the given word.
4. The Head Judge will have the responsibility for stopping the student if he/she fails to pronounce the word or if the student pronounces the word incorrectly.
5. Pronouncing the word before and after is not mandatory but encouraged.
1.Having started to spell a word, a student may stop and start over, retracing the spelling from the beginning. However, in the retracing, there can be no change of letters and their sequence from those first pronounced.
2. If any letters and/or their sequence are changed in the respelling, the speller will be disqualified
Spelling Bee Elimination process
1. This will apply for all rounds of the competition.
2. When a participant misspells a word, he/she immediately drops out of the contest. The next word is given to the next participant.
3. Top 3 spellers will be announced as finalists.
4. The Top 2 finalists will have a 15 words elimination playoff. If they both answer the 15 words correctly then both will be declared 1st place winners.
The Participant should
1. Pronounce the word before spelling. This is to ensure that the student has heard the correct word.
2. Look at the Pronouncer when spelling the word.
3. Speak clearly and loudly.
4. The judges decision is final in determining the correctness of the spelling, which may be misunderstood if not spoken clearly.
5. The participant may ask for any pronunciation, meaning, or sentence to be repeated for clarification before spelling. If a participant takes undue advantage of this rule, the Pronouncer/Head Judge will advise him/her accordingly.
1.The participant shall have 30 seconds from the time he/she pronounces the word until he/she must begin spelling the word. If the participant is unable to start spelling, at the end of the 30-second period, he/she shall be reminded by the Pronouncer, who will be informed by the Head Judge (Timekeeper).
2. Once the participant begins spelling the word he/she will have 30 seconds to complete the spelling of the word.
3. A participant will be disqualified if he/she does not follow the above listed timing rules.
In any circumstances, no one from audience should approach the judges’ panel. It is the responsibility of the participant to pose any question relating to the spelling of the word by requesting permission to approach the judges only when it is their turn in the contest. This should not happen when other participant is already given word to spell. All the judges have the access to the word list, the official dictionary, the rules of Spelling Bee record sheet. If the challenge cannot be resolved from one of the above resources, the Head Judge will call for a brief time-out to confer with the other judges. The judge’s decision shall be final and no appeal or confrontation or argument is entertained.
1. No talking will be allowed either among the participants or among the audience. This will distract participants and judges.
2. No assistance from audience is given to any participant. If a participant receives assistance from anyone in the audience, he/she will be disqualified. We expect highest dignity and respect from all participants and audience to encourage all the kids to win the contest.
3. We request the audience to remain seated all the time when Spelling Bee in progress. We will have breaks between the competition and it is expected that participants and audience use those breaks. This will help participants to have better focus and improve their winning chances.